Saturday, July 28, 2007

Importing a Prius Hybrid to Canada - Conclusion

Done!


Yesterday I had my new Prius inspected and licensed. Here is the remainder of the process (it’s BC specific, but should apply elsewhere in Canada).


(you can read the entire thread by following these posts: US/Canada Prius price comparison; US Customs forms; Step by step guide)


After coming home with the new car, I scanned and emailed the required documents (which included the Recall Letter AND printouts from Toyota’s recall database (provided by the US dealer) to RIV. About three business days later I called them up, and they emailed me my inspection form.


Just about the only modification required are daytime running lights.


I then got a temporary permit from ICBC for one day, and was off to Canadian Tire - I had them do the Federal & Provincial inspections, as well as installing DRL.


Even though they sell a DRL kit (which turns on ALL lights at 100%), this is NOT what they use when they install DRL themselves. On my (non-HID) Prius they installed DRL that run off the signal lights, not the main lights.


Costs:
Federal exam: free (included in RIV fee)
Provincial (BC) exam: $89.95
DRL parts: $40.93
DRL labor: $133.50
Gov’t inspection decal: $10


Once done with Canadian Tire, it was off to ICBC, and voila - it’s done.


Don’t forget, when you’re done with ICBC, to claim your PST refund. Here are detailed instructions (which were emailed to me by Ministry of Small Business and Revenue):


“To claim a PST refund complete and submit an Application of Refund for Social Service Tax Paid on a Vehicle form (FIN 413MV), which is available on our website at: www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/ctb/forms/0413MVFILL.pdf. For more information on the refund process, see GEN 008, Refunds of Overpayments of Tax, available on our website at: www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/ctb/publications/bulletins/gen_008.pdf.


When submitting the form, please remember to attach the relevant documentation including:

a) a copy of this email;

b) a copy of the registration certificate showing the make, model, year, and fuel type of the vehicle.

c) a copy of the bill of sale that indicates the date of purchase;

d) a copy of the ICBC receipt indicating the amount of PST that was paid when the vehicle was registered.

For more information see Bulletin SST 085, Alternative Fuel Vehicles and Alternative Motor Fuel Tax Concessions, available on our website at: http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/ctb/publications/bulletins/sst_085.pdf.”


That’s it! I’ll be happy to answer any questions regarding the import process. I highly recommend it.


— Oren


12 comments:

Scott M. said...

The answer to whether or not you'll get a Federal rebate (and get even more money back) is here:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/programs/environment/ecotransport/ecoAUTO-QandAs.htm

Under question #15. Spoiler: Does not apply to vehicles purchased out of the country.

Oren said...

Scott: Yes, Ottawa announced that the Federal refund does not apply to imported vehicle. This is a new item on that page (was not there 3 weeks ago).
I know of a few Canadians who'll be writing to their MPs to complain. Me - I'll just send whatever forms/information is required, and see what happens. Knowing how the government works, there's some likelihood I'll get my rebate anyhow...

Scott M. said...

I doubt it... the policy was protectionist from the time of the announcement (that's why the E85 cars were included -- like buying a car that can use E85 will make any difference to the environment when there's no E85 filling stations!).

I wish you the best of luck though!

Psychology Student said...

Any chance you could recommend a dealer or give us an idea of how to go about looking for one in the states?

Oren said...

Bill,

I got mine at Wilson Toyota in Bellingham. I know someone who got his at Ron Tonkin's Toyota in Portland.

Toyota has been leaning hard on its US dealers - I don't know if they're currently selling to Canadians.

Yours,
Oren

Barney said...

Hi Oren,

I have to know - did you get your PST rebate through? I am looking into doing exactly the same as you, though I am concerned that I will not get the PST rebate as it is a PoS rebate.

Thanks, and thanks for all the info!

Barmney

Oren said...

Barney - yes, I did get my PST refund. It took about two weeks from the day I sent them the paperwork. I was quite impressed.

Barney said...

Smashing! I just gave them a quick call as well and they confirmed that that is still true, they haven't changed it at all.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Barney said...

"Once done with Canadian Tire, it was off to ICBC, and voila - it’s done."

I just have to ask - what did you have to do and where did you have to go? I am importing a Ford Escape Hybrid in a week and I know that I need to get the DRL done aswell.

Thanks so much for the blog - proving to be an invaluable resource.

Oren said...

Barney,

Once you get your Form 2 (inspection form) from RIV, you take it to Canadian Tire. They install DRL (or you can install them anywhere else) and then sign-off on the inspection form. Depending on your vehicle, you may have to have additional modifications, but I doubt it. All I had to do was to get DRL.
Once Canadian Tire sign your Form 2, you can take it to ICBC and register the vehicle.

Barney said...

Wow - so were you able to get plates immediately from the Autoplan broker? If not, were you able to drive with temporary plates or something?

It seems like you were able to drive your Prius fully insured about a week after importing it - that it absolutely mind-bogglingly quick if I am right. Am I?

Barney said...

Hi Oren,

Final hurdle - got the FEH plated and insured today - hoorah!

Could you supply me with the email address that you had for the PST rebate with the BC gov?

Many thanks!