Monday, July 30, 2007

Prius '08 pricing - mixed emotions

Toyota announced its planned MSRP for the '08 Prius. The "basic model" is more than $1,000 cheaper than the basic model available today. That said, it is unclear whether the new basic model has all the features of the '07 model, or whether Toyota simply introduced a cheaper entry-level model.

I bought my '07 model two weeks ago. Yes, I would have liked to pay less for the car (I paid MSRP), but I did enjoy from the Package 2 discount which was (and still is) in effect. My guess is that Toyota will eliminate the promotion once the '08 model arrives.

Since I imported my car from the US, I did save thousands of dollars in the process. In the past two weeks Toyota has really come down on its US dealers, preventing them from selling vehicles to Canadians. With that in mind, I'm happy I was able to get my hands on a new Prius. If I had waited for the new model, there's nothing to guarantee that I would have actually been able to purchase it.

--- Oren

No comments: