Thursday, August 9, 2007

Is the Prius bad for the environment?

I've come to realized that I've been duped. The Prius is far from being eco-friendly. Quite the opposite, I find that it is the least environmentally friendly car I've driven.

Here's a list of the cars I had owned:

- Fiat Uno
- Renault Cleo
- Hyundai Elantra
- Ford Focus
- Renault Twingo
- Pontiac Sunfire

One thing they all had in common - they sucked. Over the years, driving was something I had to do to get from point A to point B. I never enjoyed it, and, generally, went out of my way to avoid driving whenever possible (including 4 years of being car-less in Manhattan).

Now I drive a Prius. It's FUN to drive. It's engaging. It provides feedback. It has more features than I've had before. It makes a statement. It's DIFFERENT.

The result? I enjoy driving more than I ever did. I even volunteer to take my wife to IKEA every other week. IKEA!!!. And why travel short distances (less fuel efficient) - let's go on longer drives (take the scenic route...).

My green car gets driven a lot more than any of my other cars did. And while I benefit from the fuel savings, I'm probably being LESS eco-friendly than before...

Why-oh-why couldn't they (Toyota) have made the Prius a crappier car?

No comments: